Admiralty and Jones Act Claims

Minneapolis Admiralty And Jones Act Attorneys

If you are a seaman who was injured on the job, you may be entitled to compensation for those injuries. Seaman who are injured on the job while working on a barge, boat, ship, cruise ship, offshore drilling rig, cargo ship, or other sea vessel may be able to make a claim for compensation to pay the bills and medical expenses while recovering.

In order to secure the compensation that you are entitled to after being injured on the job, it is important to speak to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible so that you can correctly make your claim the first time. At Hunegs, LeNeave & Kvas, we have extensive experience in helping individuals with their injury claims.

Advice You Can Trust

The Jones Act is a law that actually regulates shipping. It states, however, that injured seamen are entitled to acquire compensation through the act. It says:

  • A Seaman is an individual who is engaged or employed in any capacity in board a vessel. However, it excludes sailing school instructors, scientific personnel, or sailing school students.
  • “vessel” is defined as drill ships and drilling rigs, ships, boats, tug boats, barges, cruise ships, fishing ships, and other types of vessels that are sea-going.

As a seaman who is injured, you may be able to recover maintenance and cure benefits. The maintenance benefits come in the form of a weekly check that is paid by the employer to certain workers when their regular salary is halted because of an injury. The cure benefits are reasonable medical benefits that are provided to an injured seaman while he or she recovers from their injury.

A Nationally Respected Firm Advocating For You

At Hunegs, LeNeave & Kvas Attorneys At Law, we have a 75-year history working for you. We have represented injured clients and helped them recover benefits and compensation that they deserve so they can recover from their injuries. Throughout the years, we have earned a reputation for professionalism, integrity, and trustworthiness. Our Minnesota personal injury attorneys work hard for every client, investigating every element of an injury case. When benefits are denied or you simply want to ensure the paperwork is done properly the first time, an experienced attorney can help from start to finish.

Contact Our Admiralty And Maritime Lawyers

The Admiralty and Jones Act applies to those who have been injured on the job as a seaman. If you are a seaman who has been injured on the job, you may be able to receive compensation for those work injuries. The compensation and benefits include monetary maintenance and cure benefits. To learn more about your rights and options, call Hunegs, LeNeave & Kvas at the Wayzata, MN office at 612-339-4511 or 1-800-328-4340 for a free consultation.